top of page
  • Writer's pictureLisa Brown

Important Questions to Ask After a Florida Car Accident

If you’ve been injured in a car accident, you likely have many questions about what you should and shouldn’t do to preserve your personal injury claim. Here are some of the most common questions we hear from people who have been injured in a Florida car accident.

Is There a Time Limit to Seek Medical Treatment After a Florida Car Accident?

If you are injured, you should always seek medical treatment as soon as possible after an accident.  If you’ve been involved in a Florida car accident, you have 14-days in which to seek medical treatment in order to qualify for your complete Personal Injury Protection (PIP) benefits.   If you do not seek medical treatment within this timeframe, you will not be able to obtain your PIP benefits.

Should I Use My Health Insurance After a Florida Auto Accident?

If you have been injured in a Florida auto accident, your Personal Injury Protection (PIP) coverage will be the primary insurance coverage for your medical treatment.  Your Florida PIP coverage will pay 80% of the initial medical charges up to the first $10,000.  After that, we recommend that you use your own health insurance for further treatment.

What if I Don’t Have Health Insurance?

If you don’t have health insurance, you can still obtain medical treatment for your injuries.  There are many doctors who are willing to treat accident victims under what is called a “Letter of Protection”, or LOP. An LOP is a medical doctor’s agreement to accept payment for the treatment they have provided after your case has been settled.  In turn, you agree to protect the doctor’s interest to ensure that the doctor is paid out of any settlement or recovery.

How Long do I Have to File My Personal Injury Case?

In Florida, the statute of limitations for most personal injury cases is four years. This includes cases involving car accidents.  If you have a claim against a public entity (like when a city bus or school bus driver is at fault), you only have three years to put the public agency on notice, after which you are still subject to the four-year statute of limitation period.

Can I Still Recover If I Previously Had a Similar Injury?

Yes. You can recover even if you had an injury to the same body part before.  This is called a pre-existing condition.  If you can show that your pre-existing condition was aggravated as a result of the accident, then you will be entitled to compensation for your injury.

Do I Have To Pay My Attorney Upfront?

Most, if not all, Florida personal injury attorneys work under what is called a “contingency fee agreement.”  This means that payment to the attorney is contingent upon a recovery.  This means that payment comes out of your settlement.   If you do not end up with a settlement, you do not owe the attorney any money.  This includes any money that may have spent on your behalf.

Trust SouthShore Injury Attorneys With Your Florida Car Accident Claim

To ensure that you receive the compensation that you deserve following a Florida car accident, it’s important that you consult with a qualified personal injury attorney. The attorneys at SouthShore Injury Attorneys handle only personal injury claims, and are experienced in representing personal injury cases throughout the State of Florida. If you’ve suffered injuries in a Florida car accident, contact SouthShore Injury Attorneys at (813) 419-3866 for a free consultation.

Free Information

If you have questions about your Florida accident case, you can download our Free Reports:

which are available at our website, or you can click the link provided.  You can also contact us at (813) 419-3866 to talk directly to a Ruskin accident attorney now.

13 views0 comments


bottom of page