top of page
  • Writer's pictureLisa Brown

Should I See an Orthopedic Specialist After a Riverview Car Accident?

You’ve been in a car accident and you injured your back and/or neck.  As this is likely something that is new to you, you wonder what kind of doctor you should see for your injuries.  Should you go to your primary care doctor, or should you go directly to a specialist? The answer to this question depends on the nature of your injury.  In most cases, if your symptoms do not resolve, you may be referred to an orthopedic specialist.

What is an Orthopedic Specialist?

An orthopedic specialist is a doctor/surgeon that can treat injuries to bones, joints, ligaments, tendons, and muscles.  Some orthopedists are “general” orthopedists, whereas others specialize in certain body parts.  For example, some orthopedists will treat only spinal injuries, while others may focus solely on extremities (shoulders, knees, etc.). Orthopedic treatment can help you if you suffer injury to your bones, joints (shoulder, knees, hips), neck or back, or if you experience any symptoms such as numbness and tingling in your arms or legs.  An orthopedic specialist can diagnose the source of your pain and recommend treatment and/or surgery.

Should I See an Orthopedic Specialist First?

Although an orthopedic specialist can recommend conservative treatment (such as injections, etc.) for your injuries, most are surgeons who will likely determine whether you are a surgical candidate or not. When you are making a claim for injuries with an insurance company, it’s important to exhaust all conservative avenues of treatment first, before deciding on surgical options. The primary reason for this, from an insurance company perspective, is because surgery can be very costly.  Insurance companies will likely value your claim higher if they see that you have tried to mitigate your damages by trying other more conservative options first, rather than rushing to get a surgical recommendation.  This is why most people who have been injured in a car accident will likely first seek treatment with a chiropractor that specializes in car accident cases. The chiropractor will then act as the quarterback for your treatment, referring you out for testing such as an MRI.  Depending on how your recovery progresses, your chiropractor may also refer you to other specialists like a physical therapist or a pain management specialist.  If this treatment doesn’t work, then a referral to an orthopedic specialist may be in order.

The most important thing after any kind of accident is that you receive the right kind of care.  At SouthShore Injury Attorneys, we have the resources to connect you to the care you need.  Contact our office at (813) 419-3866 to set up a free consultation with one of our experienced accident attorneys.

Free Information

If you have questions about your Florida accident case, you can download our Free Reports:

which are available at our website, or you can click the link provided.  You can also contact us at (813) 419-3866 to talk directly to a Riverview Personal Injury Attorney now.

7 views0 comments


bottom of page